Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Marketing And Overcoming The Fear Factor

When someone tells you your book needs to be publicised/advertised/marketed, what's your first reaction? Mine is, 'I don't want to get into people's faces with this or upset them'.

Over the past few months I've done a lot of thinking about advertising and come to the conclusion that there are two types of adverts. The first type tells you about the person/company, what they do/sell and where to contact them. It's not an in-your-face pressure sell or an ego-trip, just a note to remind you they exist.

The second type of advert threatens you with being ostracised from society if you don't buy this stuff or patronises you because you don't know about it. And if that's not enough, it goes on to say that ALL your friends will want one and you're odd/stupid/smelly if you don't get one too. It's what I normally think of as advertising, as it's the kind I see most often on TV, at the cinema, on hoardings or hear on the radio.

The first type is found in parish magazines and local papers and is the style of advert I run for my PC business. So, I thought, why not use that style for my books? Why not become a 'first' advertiser.

To that end I have placed an advert on the right for my latest novel, and the publishing co-operative it was issued through, as well as including a separate page on this blog.

If you don't buy the book it won't leave you an outcast or cause you to tumble headlong down the social ladder. Nor will the lack of a purchase reduce your IQ or cause you to suffer from BO or halitosis. It's not a threat of social exclusion, it's a note from me to you to let you know what I do.

If you're worried about 'marketing', then become a 'first' advertiser. Leave people a note on your blog, on a website or in the local paper. You don't have to become like Uriah Heep and be 'ever so 'umble', just be yourself.

Take the fear out of marketing. Leave a note.

7 comments:

Nick Wilford said...

I agree with you, Martin. I've thought about this, should I unleash my works on an unsuspecting public, and I wouldn't want to be in people's faces either. At the same time you want people to know it's there. I would never ask anyone directly to buy my book- I still believe word of mouth is the most powerful marketing tool, and with blogs etc this is even more potent. And that all comes down to the quality - that's why a book should sell.

Martin Willoughby said...

Nick: One problem is how to generate the word of mouth. If we get in people's faces, then the word of mouth will be negative.

Karen S. said...

Sometimes, people (okay mainly myself) just need to happen on things. I recently bought two books, written by different bloggers right here. Just because I often visit their blog, and just happened to notice it. No push, no direct here's my book in your face either...it just happened to be on their blog where anyone stopping by could see it. Exposure!

Caitlin said...

You know, I can't think of an in-your-face advertisement that's ever really motivated me to do or buy something. Unless it was an N SYNC album, but that was twelve-year-old me. And like Karen, if I have the money, and it's someone I visit often, I'll often buy their book through a quick little link.

Michelle Davidson Argyle said...

Hehe, love this. :)

Martin Willoughby said...

Karen: And that's how advertising should work.

Caitlin: Nor can I think of one, but they work. Either that or the advertising industry is selling everyone a lemon.

Michelle: Thankyou.

GingerGirl said...

Yes, promoting too much or too loudly is a concern of mine, yet I realize if I sit by mutely no one will ever find me. Sigh, to find just the right balance! But I do think you are on to something.