Monday, January 02, 2012

And So It Begins

A New Year and a new novel, which I'm planning to launch in November.

I've been examining my writing style over the past few months and come to the conclusion that I don't write anything. Confused? Let me explain.

I don't write straight comedy, if that's not an oxymoron, but the novels aren't thrillers or SF/F either. They seem to be a mix of the three. While comedy novels have an element of the thriller about them (who did what to whom and why etc), they don't take the situation seriously, even when someone dies. I do tend to take it seriously, so it's not straightforward comedy writing.

Neither does my work come under the thriller heading as there is too much comedy in the writing (it makes me laugh anyway). There are also elements of SF and some fantasy too.

It's a bit like mixing Terry Pratchett, Tom Holt and Jim Butcher, with a dash Stephen Hunt, Gail Carriger and Douglas Adams mixed in...according to my rather large ego.

In effect I don't write anything as I am not classified. Certified maybe, but not classified. Is it arrogant to think I write my own genre? I aim my work at the SF/F Comedy market as that is the genre it fits in most easily, but I know in my heart that's not where it belongs.

Still, I have written the first draft of the first three chapters and it's looking good. 'What's it about' I hear you ask? As you ask so nicely I'll tell you.

Adam, a 700 year old wizard (give or take a few decades), knows that his replacement is due to arrive soon. It turns out to be a fourteen year old orphaned girl, who, depiste appearances, is quite willing to learn from Adam, especially as she likes his burgers. Every time a new wizard or witch comes along there are other wannabees ready to usurp the role and all have a perfect record of failure. Not that it stops them trying of course, and the current usurper has his sights set on world domination. First of all, he has to create an army of henchmen and women (no sex discrimination here), take control of Hitchin and avoid being arrested by the police for circulating fake Euros.

I have no idea what's going to happen as I haven't written it all yet, but Adam will win, the usurper will die and his henches will either die or be released from their magical bonds. Along the way there will be an unlikley heroine in the shape of a social worker called Carol and a likely villain in the shape of a social worker called Becky.

With that I wish you adieu and I shall see you on Wednesday.

8 comments:

Holly said...

Oooo! That's a good mix of authors.

I am intrigued...

Nick Wilford said...

Sounds pretty cool. I don't like how we have to categorise and put ourselves into boxes - I'm not sure what genre I write in either. Happy new year!

Martin Willoughby said...

Holly: And all off my bookshelf!

Nick: It's only so 'they' can market it to a certain demographic.

E. Arroyo said...

sounds like a great read. =)

Martin Willoughby said...

EA: It's not a bad 'write' either. :)

The Vegetable Assassin said...

Is it wrong that "Carol" made me laugh? Because unlikely heroines should ALL be called Carol! :)

Martin Willoughby said...

Veg: Not at all. Laugh away. But why did it make you laugh?

Cindy Keen Reynders said...

Sounds like a fun story...YA fantasy, maybe?