Monday, December 19, 2011

Year End WIP

2011 is coming to an end and as this is the last week I shall be blogging till 2012, I thought I'd start with a review of the years achievements.

Writing
Aside from the published novel, there have been other successes. I set myself the goal of getting published in another magazine this year in addition to Hub. It didn't have to be a story, but someting valid and 'writerly' and achieved that with a short story on WritingRaw early on this year.

Since then, I've also got a column on WritingRaw about self-publishing and have had an article published in ACW, with a follow-up article due out in January. In addition to these, I've had two joke headlines published on Newsbiscuit.

The highlight has to be the book launch as it was my first, and won't be the last. I've started on the second novel, which will be finished by the summer if all goes well, and will be ready for launching next November.

All in all, a very good year, a lot of progress and lots of foundation laid for the future.

Personal
Aside from appearing in two stage plays this year, once as a psychotic encyclopeadia salesman and once as an American writer of bonkbusters, I came off anti-depressants in November. I'd been taking them under medical supervision since June 2009, after the final split with my ex-wife and separation from my children.

I've now settled into my new flat, got my finances sorted (mostly) and although I feel lonely sometimes, it's better than being locked into a loveless marriage. (If you happen to know any desperate, middle-aged, female millionaires, point them in my direction...if they have a weak heart, even better)

Things have still gone wrong this year, but on balance, the good has outweighed the bad. 2011 is a year I shall look back on with a smile, and it's the first time for a long while I can say that.

See you on Wednesday, when I shall write about some of the things I have learnt this year.

7 comments:

Lisa Shafer said...

You've had a busy year.
Here's hoping 2012 has more pleasant things and fewer of the less pleasant ones for you.

Martin Willoughby said...

Lisa: Thankyou.

Cindy Keen Reynders said...

Congratulations on all of your successes, Martin. And here's to a bright, happy 2012 for you! (Imagine I'm raising a glass of bubbly right now...)

The Vegetable Assassin said...

Well young man, here is to a FANTASTIC 2012. Things are looking up! Merry Christmas to you and the best of everything in the new year!

Martin Willoughby said...

Cindy: Thankyou. (My imagination is good)

Veg: Young? I haven't been called that in a while. Thank you.

Valentina Hepburn said...

Hi, Martin. A roller coaster year for you but you've obviously come through. Congratulations on all your successes. Merry Christmas and thank you for following and for all your comments. See you in 2012.

Martin Willoughby said...

Valentina: Thankyou. See you in 2012.