Tuesday, October 25, 2011

WIP

Apologies for being a day late, but as you're a forgiving bunch I know you'll let it pass.

First up, the novel. I've almost finished the re-write of chapter 5 and finished the edits of chapters 6 & 7. I should have the whole lot done by next Monday, at which point I'll be looking for some critiques from my writer's group.

Talking of which, if anyone wants to 'beta-read' the novel, let me know in the comments section below. I promise you nothing but blood, sweat and tears...that's the part when Alan gets an accidental knee in the groin. What do you mean that's not enough? OK, I'll email you a free version of the book when its published as well.

While I'm on the subject of publishing (how's that for a tidy segue), we have a date for our launch: 27th November. We're holding it in a local hotel who are supplying the room free of charge on condition that we get the local press to cover it. If I have my way, we'll have local BBC radio and TV covering it too.

'Why would they do that?' you ask. 'It's never been done before' I reply. Book launches yes, but an ebook launch? How do you have a book signing event when there are no books available? Shall I tell you now, or let you find out next week? How cruel shall I be? OK, I'll tell you. But only if you stop hanging the noose from that tree.

For the first 2-3 days of the launch, all buyers will get a Special Edition of the book. This copy will have a different frontpage with a message and a digitised signature from the author. Afterwards, the normal version will go back on Amazon.

We're also going to have signed copies of the cover artwork for sale and a short reading from each book by the authors. As for who's coming, there'll be family and friends and hopefully the people staying at the hotel. We'll ask a local politician or two to join us and may even get a West End actor to put in an appearance. I'm also going to get in touch with Amazon to see if they would like to take part too.

In short, we've pulled in every contact we have, including some we've forgotten about, and made a few more along the way. I'll tell you more as we get nearer the date.

As I'm on the subject of actors (not such a tidy segue), play rehearsals are proceeding apace and I have learnt some of my words...and there are more than I thought there would be. We have most of the props, but I still need an early 1970s style dress suit.

All in all, it's proving to be a busy November...and I'm loving it.

See you tomorrow

9 comments:

KLo said...

Wow, lots of interesting stuff going on ... an eBook launch sounds utterly fascinating :-) You'd better take much video ... in the name of posterity, of course ;-)

Also, regarding your segues ... clearly you've been friends with me for too long :-)

Heehee, seriously, Martin, I'm so happy for you ... you deserve only the best, my friend :-)!

DRC said...

Hmmm...reading in public. Still coming to terms with that one...lol

[Naebsy] said...

Woohoo!!! I'm very happy for you. You make me a very proud daughter. You totally confused me with the invite on Facebook. Thanks for lifting the veil here. And hmm I would very much like a copy e-mailed to me when it comes out. I think deserve it more than anyone else, thank you very much. Bonne continuation and do not forget to celebrate with our best friend - tea.

Martin Willoughby said...

KLo: Video it. Hmmmm. Might be allowed, but if TV are there, we may not need to.

Naebsy: A free copy for my secret daughter? OK, you talked me into it.

Martin Willoughby said...

DRC: It's easy once you get used to it. (For some reason your comments were being treated as spam. Fixed it now)

Lisa Shafer said...

Great idea for your book signing!

Sorry I'm unable to loan you the dress suit. Oh yes, my family has lots of clothes from the 1970s -- and 60s and 50s and 40s -- but we're a bit too far away for me to loan you anything.
(When I did a community theatre version of "Guys and Dolls," my family provided clothing, hats, and gloves for half the women in the cast. Same with when I was in "The Pajama Game" in high school. And I do have several boxes of lovely 70s polyester goodies in my basement....)

Martin Willoughby said...

Lisa: Ever considered opening a costume hire store?

Lisa Shafer said...

:)
I do hair and make up for school plays at our own school and the high school (slightly older kids) close by. :)

What is the play you're doing?

Holly said...

I'm a little behind in reading and commenting on my favorite blogs, but CONGRATULATIONS!! It's ebook launch day!! How fun is that? Please post about how it went, since your are breaking new ground with this event.

I hope you sell millions and millions of copies.