Monday, October 03, 2011

The WIP Report

I have started the next phase of the novel, which is getting the plotholes removed and adding/removing description.

It has taken me a day to finish chapter one, so I should finish all of them within two weeks as this is one of the long chapters. I have still to make notes on chapters 5 to 12, but I'll wait until I'm finished with the notes I've made on the first four until I do. That way I won't introduce any errors.

If you're desperate to read some of my work in the meantime, feel free to buy my short story collection, It Can Be Done It Should Be Done, which I've advertised on the right. No comedy in there, but some excellent writing nonetheless (come on you didn't think I was going to trash it did you?). Go on, you know you want to.

KATS have started to rehearse their latest production, In Praise of Love by Terrence Rattigan, and I am playing an American called Marcus. If you have any hints on doing an American accent, let me know as I end up sounding Australian.

We've had a false start already not being able to cast Habeus Corpus, so we're a month behind on rehearsals. As we're performing in 7 weeks time this is going to be tough, but I know I can do it, even if I end up in a dark corner whimpering after the final night.

Still, I'm looking forward to cutting bits out of it as the director has decided it's too long and I have my red pen at the ready. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

2 comments:

The Vegetable Assassin said...

I can tell you with authority, that having lived in the States for years and worked in 100% American environments, I can do a perfect American accent. And on occasion I've used it when having to be on the phone and sick of people not understanding me otherwise. Tips? Don't over do it. Most Brits trying to be "American" go too far and end up sounding totally retarded. Keep it subtle and for god's sake, DON'T TRY TO MAKE IT SOUTHERN or you'll sound like a caricature. Oh and pay attention to inflection. Their voices go up where ours wouldn't and vice versa - nail that and that's what makes you sound authentic.

I realize this probably isn't a great help...good luck though. With the book AND the accent.

Martin Willoughby said...

That advice is a GREAT help. I'd realised that overdoing it was going to sound false, so I was working on the subtle accent. I hadn't realised about the inflection, so that is useful to know. Guess I'll just have to watch more Star Trek. :)

Thankyou darling. Mwah, mwah.