Friday, October 21, 2011

Friday Fun

The weekends nearly here, so kick off those shoes, sit back and enjoy yourself. At least until the kids get home.

First up, oddbox. This week the Scrabble world championships (with some cheating), an intelligent horse and using mime to control the traffic...you gotta see that one.

In other news we hear that the American Declaration of Independence was illegal and a man in Devon has had himself mummified...after death of course. Finally, why do people changes names? Here's 25 people who did and their reasons.

Newsbiscuit.

First up, the scary story that health scares may be bad for you. If that wasn't bad enough the news that an MBA student has acted a bit C2 may jar.

Some good economic news come from the Homeopathic society who have suggested a great way to get the world back on track.

Headlines include, 'Firm seeking to create the perfect pair of trousers "making great strides"', 'Tragedy as mime artist falls into aquarium at Sea-world’ and 'Destitute herbalist living on borrowed thyme'.

As ever if you want to see the stories that almost made it, have a look at the writer's forum, with the usual warning that the language can get a bit fruity at times.

From the blogsphere comes a great word that you should ALL start using immediately: Esquisse. From the same blog comes information on the link between radishes and radicals.

Joke of the week: "My girlfriend said she wanted me to be more like her ex. So I dumped her."

My favourite comedy video of the week:




My favourite picture:



Have a great weekend.

7 comments:

Lisa Shafer said...

Thanks so much for dropping by my blog and volunteering to read and review my book. I am very honored.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post; you have a very eclectic sense of humor here. I LOVE the "regret" demotivational poster. :) The name-change article was very interesting, especially to a teacher like me. (We get some really strange names every once in a while: a kid named after a basketball team, a kid named after a Star Wars character, kids with names that mean funny things when said out loud.....). And as for the Declaration of Independence being illegal, well, my thought was "duh." Isn't a revolution always illegal?
Anyway, that's a great collection of articles. Thanks!

Martin Willoughby said...

Lisa: Last year I read a now defunct website called 101 reasons not to write. One of the reasons was a question: 'How many new authors have you taken a chance on?' (http://old.101reasonstostopwriting.com/2006/10/30/reason-1-you-dont-buy-books/) That hit me a bit as I hadn't taken much of chance, yet here I was expecting people to take a chance on me.

Since then I've read many books by new, or new to me, authors. One or two have sucked big time, but none have no redeeming features.

On top of that, your book was less than £1, which is cheaper than a charity shop. :)

Lisa Shafer said...

I'd hoped the low price would help convince a few folks to try it out. :)

Lisa Shafer said...

And I just NOW realized you're in the UK. How fun!
I can't say I've spent much time in Hertfordshire (oh, did I even spell that right?). I've done plenty of touristy stuff in London and in the York-Leeds area (all those little fishing villages along the coast, Skipton, Scarborough, and such), and I spent 3 weeks one summer in Billingham and one whole summer in Cambridge (loved my classes and instructors, really hated the town -- long story).
Mostly, however, I've spent my time up north with the Scots, as I did my MSc at Edinburgh Uni, plus I spent several other summers there taking courses.
Anyway, sorry it took me so long to figure out that you're my first real UK reader (even though I've got two other UK residents in my followers and one of them has read early drafts of the book).
cheers!

Martin Willoughby said...

Lisa: Amanda Hocking made a fortune out of 99c books, so it's a strategy that works.

Hertfordshire is correct, and I'm pleased to be the first real UK reader.

Lisa Shafer said...

:)

Tess said...

that joke is a keeper :D