Wednesday, September 28, 2011

How Do You Write?

Good question.

1) Write the story out, ignoring all plotholes, spelling mistakes and repetitions.

2) Remove the repetitions, plotholes and spelling mistakes

3) See what needs expansion and expand it, such as descriptions of places or giving background details of the world/environment/person

4) Prune it...severely.

5) Edit it for mistakes, errors

6) Put it in a drawer and forget about it for a month or so

7) Reread and make any necessary changes

8) Send it off.

Now promise you won't share my secrets with anyone else.

7 comments:

PV Lundqvist said...

Classic pantser, you are. :)

Author Doc said...

All sound common sense. But do you follow your own advice and can you demonstrate that it works?

I am one of those strange people who does a lot of writing, but purely for pleasure, not for profit.

Martin Willoughby said...

PVL: What's a pantser?

Doc: I do follow my own advice right up to the point of sending it off. After that it's in the hands of editors and publishers.

PV Lundqvist said...

Oh, I'm sorry—a pantser is someone who writes by the seat of his pants. Making it up as they go along.

The opposite of a plotter: he maps every plot twist, chapter, before writing a thing.

Martin Willoughby said...

PVL: That's me all over.

Holly said...

My lips are sealed. I promise not to share your super-secret writing method with anyone.

Martin Willoughby said...

Holly: Thankyou.