Friday, September 30, 2011

Friday Fun

First up...who else but Oddbox. This week an orange croc, large vegetables, laughing yoga and a man skydiving through a mountain. Yes I said through.

Elsewhere on the Beeb, we have a flying carpet made of plastic and the Ignobel awards that include a prize for determining that some Australian beetles have sex with beer bottles. Not only that, but scientists have developed a self-healing plastic.

Newsbiscuit has been quiet this week, but the headlines have been occasionally good. 'Saudi insurers won't pay out on whiplash claims', 'Jackson doctor: He was all white when I left him', 'Family of late pacemaker inventor say "his heart will go on"', 'Fencing company announces loss of 3000 posts' and 'Seven injured at Italian sign language conference'.

In the blogsphere, a young lady called (name hidden for privacy reasons) has amazed the world with her awesomeness. In order not to overwhelm people she has hidden her blog from public view so I cannot show you a link. If I did, MI6 would have to kill me. The Inky Fool has given the world some interesting words this week including Bumbershoots (a word we just have to get into common usage), but the most interesting piece was the discovery that Dickens was down with the hoods. Bookends Literary Agency does get some odd emails, but this one as a query was precious, especially when the author states that they are single and available.

That's all for this week, have a great weekend and I shall see you on Monday.

8 comments:

[Naebsy] said...

You did it! You do not cease to surprise me Mart (hey this sounds like Bart. You know, THE Bart Simpson)!

[Naebsy] said...

Even though Mart with a stressed /r/ sounds funnier. Say it quickly: Marrrrt. Marrrrrrrt. Marrrrrrrrrrrrt.

Holly said...

So THAT'S what's been missing from my query letters - my headshot (Which looks a lot like a picture of Elle McPhearson cut from a magazine. Actually, it is a picture of Elle cut from a magazine, but we could pass for twins.), and my marital status.

Maybe I should go ahead and list my turn-ons, too. "I enjoy long walks on the beach, and spending someone else's money."

No wonder no one's been responding!

The Vegetable Assassin said...

Hahah that letter was funny!

YOU have a good weekend also. Try to stay out of trouble. Or jail. :)

Martin Willoughby said...

Naebsy: The trouble with Mart/Marty/Martin is the unfortunate word it rhymes with concerning bodily gases.

Holly: Apparently sending bars of chocolate works too.

Veg: The only time I go near jail is in Monopoly. Trouble on the other hand...

[Naebsy] said...

Haha I actually didn't think about bodily gases at all. F(m)art!

Milo James Fowler said...

Holy cow, these keep getting better and better. How do you find this stuff? Great way to end the work week.

Martin Willoughby said...

Naebsy: It's been a constant pain throughout my life. When you add that to the sortened version of my surname and the fact that I'm short it only gets worse. (You'll have to work that one out for yourself)

Milo: Thankyou. I read the BBC, newsbiscuit and blogs, then remember what amuses me or causes me to choke on my tea.