Monday, August 15, 2011

The WIP

It's Monday, so it must be a WIP update.

I've finished chapter 6 and have got the book up to 32,000 words. Two of the main characters have been 'making out' in the midst of a firefight and the Dagon ship has nearly fallen apart when the rust holding it together starts coming away whenever they fire their main weapon.

The main theme of this book, or so it seems to me, is the three people wanting to make a family despite all the opposition and problems. There are also some role reversals going on. The woman is the action hero, the man is the emotional one and the daughter is the logical thinker. If you want an analgoy, think Kirk, McCoy and Spock.

I've also allowed some minor characters to have their own voice (aren't I generous). The ship's captain, commander McLintock, is giving orders when they are attacked by the Dagon vessel, but no one is sure if they should fire on it in case the rust falls off and it disintigrates in a shower of dust.

I won't spoil it by telling you how the battle ends, but eveyone survives...more or less.

Chapter 6 ends with the line, "Got a bucket of water?"

In other news, the ebook venture is panning out nicely as one of our number is working on a logo and a banner for the website. She has already come up with a couple of designs as a starting point.

One thing we have to keep in mind when doing this is that the logo has to be recognisable and easy to print, both in colour and black and white. It's early days.

Enjoy your week. I'm going to try and work out how to separate the lovers. They've loosened so much clothing that one gust of wind will strip them naked, the thought of which gives their teenage daughter the creeps.

2 comments:

The Vegetable Assassin said...

This book is sounding all sexy AND sci-fi, my favourite combination! :) Although I can see how it would be less sexy and more "OH LORD JESUS, NO!" if it was your parents doing the sexy part.

Martin Willoughby said...

Veg: Wait till the wedding night...and while I'm on the subject, I've found that reminding my boys how they were created (or threatening to...in public) is a great way to get them to behave.