Friday, July 15, 2011

Writer's Block...What I Do

The short answer is that I go to sleep. The long answer...is that I go to sleep.

I had problem with my WIP last night, so I stopped what I was doing and went to sleep. This morning I knew what to do which sadly involved getting rid of some cherished comedy moments.

It must be said that I find sleep to be a very valuable method of problem solving in all areas of life, though not all. Going to sleep at the office won't endear me to anyone.

Sleep is a distraction, taking my mind off the problem at hand and leading me somewhere else, and that is part of its magic. Whilst I sleep, my mind reorganises my thoughts and finds answers for me and may work for you.

Next time you have writer's block, go for a snooze.

4 comments:

Freya Morris said...

Hi Martin,

I've not tried that before. Although, last week I had a dream that I sent a letter off to an agent with the wrong name addressed on it. It was a horrible,stressy dream and I woke up thinking - phew, glad it was just a dream. Then I thought, what if?

Checked the email I sent to the day before and saw that I had indeed done JUST that. If only my brain had told me earlier! I think I managed to rescue it a little by resending the email.

Weird things happen when we sleep.

KLo said...

As you know from Facebook, I've recently learned the value of sleep in terms of writing ;-)

[Naebsy] said...

Oh Martin that is so good. Sleeping does clear the mind. I'm glad that you finally got your bearings.

Martin Willoughby said...

Freya: At least you found out before the damage was done. Always trust the bed!

KLo: At least you CAN sleep now.

Naebsy: It's not a patented method so feel free to use it. :)