Monday, July 25, 2011

Starting At The End

When writing a book, it's common to start at the beginning and then work out what happens from there. But why not start at the end?

Beginning with the ending may make a lot of sense if you're writing a crime thriller as it allows you to know who done it, where, when and how. Once you know that, then you can build in your false leads when you continue writing the story from the beginning.

It could also work in other fields, for instance, to pick a genre out of thin air, Science Fiction Comedy...oh yes, that's what I write. By deciding what the ending will be, I will know where I am aiming to get, who to get there and what they will do once they arrive.

It's not something that I plan on doing a lot, but it is an interesting approach that is worth experimenting with, especially if I get stuck at some point in my writing.

4 comments:

DRC said...

I always know the ending. Sometimes a random end scene can inpsire a whole story for me.

Martin Willoughby said...

DRC: But do you START with the ending?

Elise Elleneth said...

Most my story inspired or delivered by my dream (yes, strange but unique and special for me). And scenes in my dream most in the middle, then will jump into the end... So I could easily make the beginning because of the enough information from the middle and how it ends. The only thing make me sad is that, my knowledge is too lacked to make it a good story in a book. How even I would try, I can't make it the way I want :( ... But I will just keep the summary for now so that, if ever I have the chances to study and masteral the writings, I could finally make a start and try to revive them... Hopefully, I will have the chance in the near future :) ... Have a nice day Mr. Martin...

Martin Willoughby said...

Elise: Always write down ideas. You may not be able to think of the beginning at the moment, but let your dreams give you the answer and it will come in time.