Saturday, July 30, 2011

Oops And A Thought

Yesterday was a wee bit busy, so I hope you'll forgive the tardiness of the Friday posting. An emergency trip to the airport first thing in the morning, helping another person clear the rubbish out of their house and then giving her a break from family problems, followed by...I can't remember, but probably total flakyness and sleep.

On the subject of writing, where do you practice your writing and get feedback? I don't just use the writer's group, I also submit work to online sites and magazines. Most won't give feedback except for the form rejection, but some do.

If you write topical comedy, and it's always a good idea to stretch your wings a bit and try something different, try newsbiscuit.com. They don't pay, but to see some of your work in print is always a boost. I don't often contribute, but have had a couple of headlines published recently.

There's always the huffington post and I'm sure that there are others out there that encourage new writers to try their hand. If, like newsbiscuit, you submit via a forum, you can often get feedback from other contributors.

Look around and you'll find a whole world of places that you never knew existed.

5 comments:

KLo said...

Beyond my personal blog and Zelda Lily, the only writing I do tends to be ... well, long. And sharing excerpts doesn't seem to be the thing to do. I've been toying with the idea of writing short stories, but of course ... well, they all want to be be novels ;)

When I post excerpts of my novels on my blog, people don't seem too enthused about giving feedback. I wish they would, but ... c'est la vie :-)

KLo said...

Martin, you motivated me!!!!!!!!! I wrote a short story :-) It's up on my blog now, if you want to read it.

Martin Willoughby said...

KLo: When you don't know someone, giving feedback can be a little terrifying and some people don't know how to give feedback...Hmmmm I feel a blog idea there.

Milo James Fowler said...

Quite a few of the paying zines I submit to are known for offering constructive criticism, and I value it highly. Every Day Fiction is one of the best -- and you keep receiving feedback once your story is published on their site!

Martin Willoughby said...

Milo: I've already bookmarked Every Day Fiction. Have you listed the other ones on your blog at any point? They sound like great people to write for.