Friday, June 24, 2011

We've Done It!

Six weeks rehearsal, lots of nerves and a flat battery later and we won through to the Saturday of the St Albans Playwriting Festival. Believe me, I am excited.

Our writer/director gets her recognition, and deservedly so, as does our little drama group.

I was due to leave the flat at 4.30pm yesterday to meet everyone, and then to drive down to St Albans, and found that I had a flat battery. A damsel in shining armour came and rescued her knight in distress and we still got there in time.

The most nervous person was the writer/director/prompter and, as we were on second, she had even more time to be nervous.

The performance passed by with only a couple of minor hitches and a lot of laughter at the correct items, although there was a bout of laughter when I collapsed onto a sun lounger and showed the audience my large backside. Before you ask, I was clothed, I just had to lay across it as if I was drunk from the night before and decided that the funniest thing to do was to let the audience see my backside instead of my face...until I spoke.

We sat through the last play about the assassination of a future US president, and then listened to the adjudicator ask the audience what they thought about the three plays. After that we waited to hear if the play would be performed again.

This time my car's battery is fully charged, but I'm still excited and looking forward to performing this play again.

On Monday I'll let you know what section we won.

Have a great weekend. I will.

4 comments:

KLo said...

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay :-)

Martin Willoughby said...

KLo: It was fab.

Milo James Fowler said...

Will you be posting any photos from the production? Sounds like it was a blast.

Martin Willoughby said...

Milo: There aren't any available sadly.