Monday, June 20, 2011

The Fat Lady Is Warming Up

Last rehearsal...tick
Lines learnt...tick
Nerves conquered....errrrrrrrr.

On Thursday we perform Famous Island. We had a few glitches tonight, but nothing major and, thankfully, we have a small set to put up and take down: two chairs, one lounger and one table. Our props are in two boxes, we have our costumes ready and we have timed our changes. The singing hasn't quite begun, but the fat lady's practising the scales.

The more I practice the play, the better I get at it and the deeper I get to know my characters. Just the same as writing really. The more time I spend with my fictional characters, the better I know them and the easier it becomes to write for them.

And with that pearl of wisdom I'm off to bed. See you on Wednesday.

2 comments:

Milo James Fowler said...

Break a leg! And you're right about our fictional characters. For some reason, the ones I've been writing about since I was a kid are having better luck at getting themselves published than the ones I've created this year.

Martin Willoughby said...

Milo: You're right, the longer we've known our characters, the easier it is to write them. One British comedy writer said that the first two series are hard, but beyond that it became easier as he knew them well.