Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Never Undervalue Yourself.

Writers, generally, fall into two groups: Those that have massive egos and see no fault in their work, and those who see every fault and some faults that don't even exist.

If you're reading this I doubt you're in the former group as you wouldn't be online trying to learn, which means that to one degree or another you, like myself, undervalue your writing and your ability to write. Don't.

This evening I went to a parent evening at college for my eldest son who is studying a City & Guilds in Hospitality and Catering. The report was glowing so much I wish I had taken along some sunglasses. I wasn't overly surprised as I'd had a few chats with his tutor and assistant over the past few months. My son was.

He tends to view everything negatively and finds it hard to see his achievements. Tonight he was faced with his successes couldn't ignore them. He was wearing a large smile when we left.

Sometimes we all need to step back and realise how much we HAVE achieved as writers and stop being so hard on ourselves, to stop undervaluing our ability.

In light of this I would like you all to do one thing: today or tomorrow, think of how far you have come as a writer and as a person and enjoy it...every moment. If a negative thought comes into your mind, lock it in a dungeon somewhere until it's learnt to behave.

Because of his excellent report, I promised him a treat. After all his kitchen training and the sumptuous meals he has cooked this year, he decided that the one thing he REALLY wanted was a McDonald's chicken burger.

Ah well.

1 comment:

Tana Adams said...

Great advice. it's time to think of how far we've come and be proud.