Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Kindle Publishing - Part 2

So you've got your book ready. It's edited, spellchecked, been converted to the right format and you're ready to upload it to Amazon. What next? Uploading of course.

If you've followed the instructions in the previous post and are happy, the next step is to let Amazon do the work and sell it for you. In comparison it's a piece of pie/cake/muffin/doughnut (delete according to taste).

First of all, you need to go to the kindle publishing page and sign in to your regular Amazon account. That's right, you don't need a special account to do any of this. I told you this was easier.

There is an upload button which will take you through the rest of the procedure, during which you will need to give some personal details (name, address etc), your bank account details (how else will they pay you) and details of the book.

It will then be uploaded and converted into their own format, after which they'll take a look at it to make sure that it isn't racist, homophobic etc, and then it will be listed as publishing. In short, within two/three days your book will be available on Amazon to be bought and downloaded.

Easy.

The decisions that you will have to make regarding the book you upload will be about DRM, lending and royalties and these will be down to personal preference.

I chose not to have DRM (Digital Rights Management) on my book so that buying it was less restrictive for any readers. Lending is not about libraries, but whether buyers can lend it to other kindle users. I chose to let the book be lent so I would hopefully get a larger readership.

Royalties are either 35% or 70%. Simple choice you'd think. Nah. The lower royalty amount has a minimum price of 99c/75p whilst the higher has a minimum of $1.99/£1.45. You set your own price between these minimums and the maximum (which is about 200 $/£ if I recall correctly)

I chose the lower royalty and the lowest price in order to get more people interested in taking a chance of my book. As I haven't spent any money on producing the book, this seems sensible to me as I have no costs to recoup. Once I am famous I can charge more.

There are some tax details that you will need to be aware of, VAT in the Europe and whatever it is in the states or elsewhere, which are spelt out in the terms and conditions which I DO URGE YOU TO READ FULLY. Not because there are any traps in them, at least none I could see, but so you are aware of what they can and can't do.

There is a short guide to this on Amazon as well a community and forum to join which has even more help.

One other little beauty that you may want to advertise to one and all is the free Kindle Reader for PC. That's right, I said free. You can get the software from Amazon and then download books to your PC/Laptop and read them. No need to buy a kindle at all. It's also available for Mac, ipad, iphone and android.

So there you have it, a guide to publishing your opus on Amazon. Mine will be available by the end of the week. It's currently titled 'Published Short Stories', but I'll have to change that name as I changed the title (to 'It Can Be Done, It Should Be Done') and forgot to change the listing title in the submission (whoops).

I'll do a follow up blog on this next week, by which time I may well be one of the kindle millionaires. Oh come on, let me dream for a few days at least.

UPDATE

It's now available via Amazon.
.

3 comments:

Tana Adams said...

Awesome! Give us the link to your book. Congratulations to you! You are now a published author!

The Vegetable Assassin said...

This whole thing's been interesting for sure. I didn't even know Amazon offered this service but what a great idea. My computer came with Kindle for PC already installed but I hadn't even bothered checking it out. I wasn't even aware I could get kindle books to read on my computer. I don't know what I thought "Kindle for PCs" was. :)

You should totally give out the link to your book when it's up and running. If you can't self promote on your own blog, where can you?

Martin Willoughby said...

OK, It's arrived. The book is now available for download.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Published-Short-Stories/dp/B004TBCYY6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3TVV12T0I6NSM&qid=1300910260&sr=1-1