Friday, February 04, 2011

Writing Software

What program do you use when you write? I use OpenOffice.

For those that don't know, OpenOffice is free office software. You get the usual text software and spreadsheet, but what makes it handy for me as a writer is the flowchart program that comes with, OpenOffice Draw.

Using this I can create a chart of relationships within a story as well as write the chapter outline and story-flow. I've thought that a flowchart of the story might be useful to send with any query I send to agents/publishers, but I'll think hard about that one.

The handy thing about the software is that it's more difficult for me to lose and doesn't require a new piece of paper when I need to rearrange or change the flow.

It's not for everyone, but as it's free, it's something you may want to give a try.

Have a great weekend.

2 comments:

T. Anne said...

I've never used openoffice. I use word. I'm a Johnny one note in that respect.

DRC said...

Yep, I'm afraid to say I'm a Word girl too. However, I'm not to keen on the latest version. They say they tried to make it easier to use, but I just find it confusing...although, I am blonde...lol