Friday, February 25, 2011

Tag...You're It.

I've been tagged by KLo to do a book meme. Here it is.

The rules:
1.Take a picture of the books you are reading currently and add to your post.
2.Describe the books and if you are enjoying them or not. Why?
3.For every book you are reading you have to tag one person.
4.Leave the person a comment letting them know you tagged them.

For the last one you can tag them in your post if you feel kinda lazy...which I do.


Prospect Magazine. I've subscribed to this since issue 2 and it's a thoughtful read. I don't always agree with what's written, but the articles are well laid out and argued. There are also some funny pieces and good cartoons.

Blonde Bombshell. A recent book by Tom Holt who has become one of my favourite authors over the past year. His books are funny, weird and set on a strange Earth where wizards and witches run firms of lawyers and accountants. I've just started this one, and the laughs have already started.

Insomnia. I picked up a couple of Stephen King books recently so I could learn about writing from a master. It hasn't disappointed and I'm learning with every page. I was slightly worried about his use of swearing, but it isn't gratuitous. Characters only utter profanities when it is in their character to do so.

Confessions (St Augustine). I started this one a few days ago having known about it for a long time and having it on the shelf for even longer. It's a long winded discourse on God and thought provoking, although the style of the language can be off putting.

Stalingrad. Antony Beevor writes history as if it is fiction, and I don't mean that in a negative way. It's a clear, concise account of the battle, the events leading up to it and the aftermath. I read a lot of history, it's a subject that has interested me since I was a child. I even studied it for my honours degree.

Hyperspace. A science book by Michio Kaku. WAKE UP AT THE BACK! Another professor who knows how to write without boring people. His books are not information dumps or research papers, but clear and easy to read. This one is about our multi-dimensional universe and how the dimensions beyond the fourth may hold the clue to explaining what we see around us. He also tells the tragic story of a German Mathematician, Riemann, who died at the age of 39, but who's research opened up the modern era.

Lord of Misrule. I have only two requirements for a biography: First, the person must be over 60 or dead, second, I must have at least a passing interest in their life. Christopher Lee passes on both accounts and his biography is a hoot and very interesting. He writes about his time in the RAF during WW2 which is alternatively funny and gruesome. He also tells the story of how decided to become an actor: He had nothing better to do so why not? And how many other actors would admit that their first time having sex was in their mid twenties?

So there's my list. And I'm now going tag the following:

Cindy Wilson
DRC
Tana Adams
Michelle Davidson Argyle
Boudica Marginalia
Tess Hilmo

Had I done this list last week, I would have Terry Pratchett's 'Wyrd Sisters' (Superb) Timothy Garton Ash's 'In Europe's Name' (Dull) and Francois Lelord's 'Hector and the Secret of Love' (Brilliant) instead of some of these.
...............................................................

One last thing, I've had a couple of bad days this week, and then this song came up on my MP3 player. Cheered me up no end.

3 comments:

Tana Adams said...

I am lousy at follow through! But I will tell you I have a stack seven deep from the library and the book I am throughly enjoying right now is the Life of Pi. have you read it? It's fascinating!!!

KLo said...

Martin, I just adore you :-) I hope things perk up for you soon!

And your book list is possibly more eclectic than mine ... and I also got some good suggestions.

I'm glad to see you reading King, by the way. I pontificate a lot about how he is dismissed when he's really a master of writing ... but it's honestly true. I live in the general area where most of his books are written, and he captures the whole "New England" feel perfectly, among other things.

Victoria Snelling said...

I read Stalingrad years ago and it was amazing. There are a number of images that are still with me today. And I still think about the moral question of whether it is better to kill prisoners or to let them starve. Wonderful book.

Thanks for the tag!