Monday, January 24, 2011

You Know You're A Real Writer When....

You can delete whole scenes and not worry about it. Or change the first chapter around, or change the order of chapters, or delete a well-crafted scene that you love.

You do these things because you know they are the right thing to do in order to tell your story.

This morning I had a brainwave about my WIP. I was having trouble with the sequence of events and then it dawned on me: the ending is near the beginning.

The big squaring up between the two main protagonists happens too early and should be at the end. It won't change the final two chapters, they haven't changed in anything I've done as they seem to be the best place to have them and the best way to end the book.

I now know (until the next revelation) that this showdown should not be the prelude to the second half of the book, but the final showdown itself. Then I can wrap things up in the last two chapters as intended. The showdown that is currently at the end can then be moved to where it more logically belongs: the middle.

It means rewriting parts of the book and changing the order of things, but that's what needs to be done.

Now I KNOW I'm a real writer.

1 comment:

Tess said...

yes! yes! this is so true. five years ago I couldn't see the mistakes I was making or I wasn't willing to really look, you know? Now I go back and see most (not all) and am willing to cut and chop as needed. As time goes along, we learn to be more attached to the right, end product than to individual scenes or characters.