Friday, December 10, 2010

Reflections: Lessons From Acting

First night of the panto...and boy was it fun.

We all missed lines, but that was even funnier.  I got a headache after being hit on the head so much.  One of our twins was sick so one of the cast doubled up.  None of us sung in tune.

We had had nearly 40 people in the audience, although we only expected 15, and they were superb.  Joining in with the songs, booing and hissing at me and, sadly, cheering the hero.


There are some cast members missing from this photo and with all the sets and props the stage is now a bit smaller.  You can imagine how cramped it is at the end.

Having been in four plays in the last 18 months I have to say that being part of this group has done me the world of good.  I have had something else to focus on rather than my divorce and the search for a home, something positive.  The best lesson, among many, that I have learned from acting with this group is that sometimes things go wrong that are not your fault.  You still suffer from them, you still have to fix it, but it isn't your fault.

Last night, the actor playing one of the twins pulled out due to sickness.  No fault of his or the cast's, but we all had to fix it, and we did.  Whether or not he gets there tonight we don't know, but the woman playing Marguerite (Yellow dress on the left had side) stepped in and is now playing both roles.

After years of being told that everything was my fault, it's a refreshing lesson.

What have you learned this year?

1 comment:

Toyin O. said...

You have learned some good lessons this year. The one thing I have learnt this year is that not all that glitters is gold; and to always go with my first instinct about people; and that change is good.