Saturday, November 20, 2010

Looking Up.

We had a rehearsal this morning, going through the rest of Act 1.  There were still a couple of people missing (one ill and one in the Czech Republic), but we finished off what we needed to do and now know where we should be standing.  I also got to practice my sword fight...using a feather duster.

The first fight scene is towards the end of Act 1 and I decided that I should pull out a feather duster first, stare at it, then throw it away before pulling out my real sword.  Other options include a rubber chicken and a light sabre, but I'm open to other suggestions (feel free to add any in the comments section).

Getting things right can be a painful process as you realise what works  and what doesn't.  We've dropped one song, cut another short, changed various lines.  In the previous play we cut whole pages and two characters.

It's the same with writing.  We have a wonderful idea, which then doesn't work.  The best thing to do is to cut it.

One last thing, have a look at this collection of strange events, then look at your WIP: Are the events in your WIP any stranger than these?

No comments: