Monday, July 05, 2010

Top Ten Books

If you had to pick ten books that had the biggest influence on you, what would they be?

It's a question that I've pondered since reading Boudica's blog on the subject, and working on the assumption that if I can't remember it then it didn't, I have come up with this list.

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe.  To this day I don't why this book left an impact on me, but since I read it as a teenager, the story of Okonkwo has always been in my mind.
Harry Potter series by JK Rowling.  I don't often cry, but this series brought floods of tears for reasons that I only discovered whilst reading book 6.
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.  Another book that has stuck with me for reasons that I'm not sure about.
Freakonomics/Superfreakonomics by Levitt & Dubner.  Two economics books that make sense.
Medieval Lives/Barbarians by Terry Jones.  Proper history about proper people told with humour that explode more than a few myths.
The Complete Robot by Isaac Asimov.  Fantastic stories about our mechanical friends.
Seeds of Change: Six plants that transformed mankind by Henry Hobhouse.  I find it amazing how the world turns on such small events.
Islands in the Sky by Arthur C Clarke.  The first SF book I read.
On Writing by Stephen King. The best advice on writing out there.
Space Captain Smith Trilogy by Toby Frost.  Funny.  Just funny.


So that's my list.  Ask me again in a few years time and it may have changed as other books make an impact.  What does your list look like?

No comments: