Thursday, June 24, 2010

Take A Chance On Me

As writers, we want to be published.  More importantly, we want people to take a chance on our tome and actually buy it.

But here's the rub: how many new authors have you taken a chance on in the last few years?  The website '101 reasons to stop writing' has as its number 1 reason, 'You Don't Buy Books'.  Let's face it, if we as potential authors are not willing to take a chance on unknowns, why should we expect people to take a chance on us.

So here's a question for us all to consider.  Can you list the new authors you've taken a chance on in the last few years?  If you can name even one, pat yourself on the back.

2 comments:

Amanda Borenstadt said...

I'll read new authors, of course they're typically online writer friends.

I'd better read the 101 reasons to stop writing. I thought I knew them all and yet I still keep slogging away. Maybe It'll finally convince me to give it up! :P

Victoria Snelling said...

I've read one - that I can think of - The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hammid, which I read because my book club made me.

I do buy books though. Lots and lots of them and I've read a quite a few authors in the last year that I've never read before.