We did it. After four months of despair, actors dropping out, rewrites, cuts and another actor dropping out just before the first dress rehearsal, we successfully put on three shows.
We cut out one major character; we cut another several pages of dialogue; we even missed a few lines on each night. In the end, it was a success. Even our last minute casting of a minor role worked well.
- On the first night I had a real bottle of whisky to hand round in the last scene, but forgot to tell one of the actors. She proceeded to take a large slug of what she thought was cold tea and nearly choked. It was all we could do to prevent ourselves from corpsing.
- On the second night, in the same scene, one of the ladies took the bottle from another a bit too quickly and ended up spilling some down her chin.
- The cast party afterwards...just because we could finally relax.
- Having a a cut up kotex sanitary towel stuck on my face three nights running in place of a beard.
Next up is Babes in the Wood in December. Watch this space.