Monday, February 01, 2010

Good News and Revelations

Good News. Pantechnicon issue ten is out and has my short story, Vehicles, inside.

Another step on the way to becoming rich, famous and the most dominant writer in the whole of human history: Mwahahahahaha!

On a different matter, I recently read a book by Mark Haddon entitled 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime'.

It is the story of Christopher, a 15 year old boy who suffers from Asperger's Syndrome. One night he discovers a neighbour's dog, Wellington, dead. It had been killed with a garden fork.

He decides to write his investigations down and shows them to his teacher, Siobhan, who encourages him in his writing.

The book does go off on several tangents, as Asperger's people tend to do, but is accurate in its portrayal of Asperger's and the people that suffer from it. How do I know? My eldest has Asperger's. So do I.

Reading Christopher's story was disturbing for me as I could see many aspects of his life in my past, though not to the same extent. The need for regularity, the obsession with relatively unimportant things and the 'logicality' of his thought.

It was also a breath of fresh air, as it highlighted so many aspects of my son's life to me, aspects that I had forgotten.

It is not a textbook on Asperger's but it does give a glimpse into the world of the sufferers, and especially into the minds and lives of those who try and cope with it, and sometimes fail.

4 comments:

Boudica said...

Hello,

Congrats on getting Vehicles published. I really enjoyed reading it. I have a story coming out in the April edition.

I read the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night a couple of years ago. I thought it was very good.

Martin Willoughby said...

Looking forward to the April edition. Sad it will be the last one, but you never know.

Troo may find a way to get another ezine off the ground.

T. Anne said...

I've heard of that book. I'll have to pick it up.

Journalizer said...

That is FABULOUS, Martin! Congratulations on another success with your short story "Vehicles."

Will we be able to read it?
I am searching the link you posted. Thanks