Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Strawberry Flame

I sit here, looking at an overcast sky, a strawberry scented candle aflame beside me, and I wonder: Why write?

Because I want to.

I write this blog for my own purposes and if someone else enjoys it, that's a bonus. If someone else is inspired by it, or learns from it, that's even better. When I write my stories, I write them because I want to tell the story.

I would be lying if I said I have no interest in publication, or not earning a living from writing because I do want those things. Occasionally, however, it is worth reminding myself that the reason I started writing is to put into words the stories I have floating around my head.

When something that I have written, be it a short story, a book review or (hopefully) a novel, gets published I'm thankful and happy. They are the bonus times.

Today, though, I am reminding myself that I write because I want to and because I enjoy it.

4 comments:

DRC said...

And so say all of us...

Journalizer said...

... with one fell swoop that all changed for me.
That was in mid June and I am still recovering.

Martin Willoughby said...

What Happened?

Journalizer said...

Someone I respect a great deal said very discouraging and hurtful things in relation to my writing.
It changed everything.
.... some of it good change, some of it bad. Nonetheless, I'm happy to say that I am successfully overcoming obstacles.

We can all overcome any obstacle, the only thing necessary is faith in ourselves.

... that and art because art opens the mind.

Thanks, Martin.