Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Ouch!

I put my back out yesterday morning and it's still hurting today. Still, it gives me a great excuse to sit down and read or be at the computer.

It's settled down now and if I get a comfortable nights sleep I'll be fine in the morning. If not, I shall be moaning about it again tomorrow.

I also have another PC job tomorrow afternoon: teaching someone how to use their digital camera, and get the photos onto a PC.

Some people laugh when I tell them I do this, but if you don't know how to do something, how are you going to learn? Although I can do these things almost without thinking, many people can't. So I teach them, then next time they can do it themselves without fear. I also keep in mind that there was a time when I couldn't do any of this.

No rehearsal tomorrow evening, and I'm not due in until Monday 2nd November. That gives me nearly two weeks to learn all my lines.

4 comments:

Meg said...

I hope you get a good nights sleep!

DRC said...

I don't laugh at people who don't know how to use camera's - or anything like that really. The amount of times I've had to explain to my parents..lol...
Hope your back feels better soon x x

Journalizer said...

Martin,
I've had back problems and went to a physical therapist. He taught me that the worst thing you can do is sit. If you are reading, then recline. Sitting is actually very unnatural for us (in eastern cultures they do not use the same sort of chairs and they have different toilets where they do not sit but squat). The BEST thing you can do for your back is walk. Just a liesurally walk can do a lot for it.
I know how painful back problems are and I know an exercise you can do for less than 5 minutes and it will make it feel so much better. I do it whenever I think of it (maybe once a week) as a preventative measure.
If your back still hurts tomorrow please email me from the link in my profile and I will explain the exercise to you.
I wish you good health.

Martin Willoughby said...

J - Thanks for that. I've been walking at the weekend with my partner and it's done me the world of good. I also try and recline when reading, with a cushion behind me so that my back is not at 90 degrees.

Thanks for the offer of the exercise. I try and do a chinese exercise called chi-kung. It's like tai chi, but without the movement, and gets your back into the right position whilst your muscles slowly build through the rest of the exercise.

I may email you though if this doesn't work.