Monday, September 28, 2009

Busy, Busy, Busy

Reading, writing and submitting. I've been busy these last two weeks.

I haven't done as much reading as I would like, but have discovered something through T.Anne's blog on passion.

I have had a torrid time reading two books by Iain M Banks (Feersum Endjin and Against A Dark Background), which is unusual as I usually enjoy them. The missing element is passion and despite Banks being a superb writer, it's the quality of the writing which shines through instead of the story and the characters. They are original and well written, but passionless. So thanks to T.Anne for the spark of enlightenment.

I've also been working on a few book/DVD reviews, one of which will be published soon, with three more in pipeline. The advantage of reviews is that they are relatively quick to do and can get published far more easily than a story. They are also good at getting your name out there to publishers and agents and providing they are in your own genre, suitable for putting on any query. Not only that, but they improve your writing skills as you have to summarise a story, which is something I find difficult with my own work.

The play rehearsals are going well and I'm getting my head around the character I'm performing as well as learning my lines...and there are a lot of them. But, it is the character I wanted to play above all others if only because he has a happy ending (and I could do with one of them at the moment).

Tonight it's to my writing group again as I'm not involved in the scene being rehearsed, but then the group get another month long break from me.

3 comments:

T. Anne said...

I guess the real credit goes to Mr. Maass, but thanx anyway!

Cindy said...

Glad to hear your rehearsals are going well. Yes, T. Anne's post today was very enlightening. Have a great day!

Martin Willoughby said...

TA, don't be so modest. You brought it to my attention and I wouldn't have known otherwise.

CW, I'm having a great day.