Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Reading and Dialogue

I'm currently speed-reading through several plays, but not for the purposes of distraction.

As part of my role within the drama group, I'm part of the reading committee that selects the plays we're going to perform in the future. I've skimmed through several by Sean O'Casey, read Tiptoe Through the Tombstones, and have Habeus Corpus and She Stoops to Conquer to go.

What is most interesting about these plays is that because they are all dialogue, it enables me to focus on dialogue for my learning-to-write-reading.

It has shown how important dialogue is in creating characters, more so, I believe, than any other facet of description.

Through a persons words you can discover who they are, what they believe, and it is through dialogue that we see most the old adage 'show don't tell'.

Next time you want a quick read, pick up a play. You'll learn more than you realise.

1 comment:

Lady Glamis said...

Excellent! I've been learning this a bit since I'm married to an actor. He's always pointing out dialogue errors I have in my novel, since he focuses a lot on language and not so much telling.