Monday, August 24, 2009

Promoting Books

In front of me I have a little booklet that was inserted into the latest issue of Books Quarterly. It contains the opening few pages of two books. Can this be adapted by new authors to get themselves known?

Building up a platform is one of the hardest things a new author can do (ask Cindy Wilson). Short story magazines are a great way to get yourself known to the reading public, but don't have a wide distribution. So how about a website with the first few pages of new books?

Agents may consider this approach viable for authors they are trying to get a contract for.

But what say you oh wise ones?

2 comments:

T. Anne said...

I'm not so wise but I realize I must do everything under the sun to build this 'platform' (It's not really a part of my dream as a writer but I suppose a necessary byproduct ;)

Martin Willoughby said...

There are days when being a ghostwriter appeals a whole lot more than being known.