Tuesday, June 02, 2009

When Life and Writing Collide

When your life and your desire to write collide, which one wins?

If you have an upcoming deadline, then can b tricky to balance the two. As most of us are 'aspiring writers' (or is that expiring), then it's rarely an issue.

Over the last few weeks I've had 'life' get in the way. Not just family and moving, but also misery and loneliness.

I've decided that I'm not going to beat myself up over it and I'll keep doing what I can when I can.

When things collide, what do you do?

4 comments:

T. Anne said...

I try to push through it and write. It bubbles inside if I don't and I always feel better if I get some words under my belt.

WindyA said...

I've been suffering from this lately myself. (Traveling for work (life) for 4 of last 6 weeks.) I'm with T. Anne - push through it. I have found that I feel better after I've written something. Anything, even if it is just a blog post to vent or a few words in my latest wip. If I need a break, I "research" and pick up a good book and read for a while.

Martin Willoughby said...

I haven't given up. I still do the blog as well as read, plan and some writing. I'm just not berating myself for not doing as much as I know I should.

Boudica said...

I try to remember that writing makes me feel better. I do it because I love it and because not writing is detrimental to my mental health.

Sometimes it can be hard to remember that and writing finds its way on to my list of chores. And give yourself a break - I'm starting a new job and it would be unrealistic to expect to find time to write straight away. Same goes for moving. Let yourself have time to get settled.