Monday, June 01, 2009

Learning Through Reading

What lessons about writing have you learned recently?

I have discarded a couple of books recently after reading 50-100 pages and thought to myself, 'How did that get published?'

After thinking about it for a day or two I came to the conclusion that just because I didn't like the books, it doesn't mean that they are terrible: it's just that I didn't like them.

A more sober reflection on each of the books brings me to the realisation that they are also not as bad as I thought. OK, I may not have cared about the characters and thought the story was bad, but the writing is fine, the story is good and it's reasonably well executed.

The books have something about them that appealed to an agent, even if they don't appeal to me as a reader. There will also be many others who enjoy the book and will probably read it again in the future.

For me, the lesson is that there will always be someone, somewhere who will like what I write. The hard part is finding them. But I should never give up.

8 comments:

Justus M. Bowman said...

I've mostly been learning about grammar. Yep, that's it. But, I like this: "...there will always be someone, somewhere who will like what I write."

Martin Willoughby said...

I just hope that that someone is an agent or publisher.

T. Anne said...

I agree, there is a book for everybody and yours is one of them!

WindyA said...

Way to stay positive!

Martin Willoughby said...

TA & WA, Thankyou.

Lady Glamis said...

Oh, yes, the hard part is definitely finding the readers who will love your work. But they ARE out there!

I've learned a lot through beta reading lately. I should do a post on it!

Tess said...

I agree. I am always amazed when I show up for book club and half the group absolutely loved the book and the other half loathed it. Fascinating. It really gives me hope for my own work, however :)

Martin Willoughby said...

LG - Beta reading? What's that?

T - There's hope for us all