Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Death and Taxes

"There is nothing so certain in life as death and taxes".

Whereas taxes can be avoided, death cannot: it comes to us all eventually and not even God will spare us from dying once (Hebrews 9:27).

How do we face that death?

Some people don't want to face it at all and want to live forever, others search for a way to die as quickly as possible, whilst for the unfortunate it's in front of them every day.

But what of our own death? Do we consider how we will be remembered by those who are alive? Do we care?

Undoubtedly, there are those who live only for themselves and for now and who care nothing for how they will be remembered. For them, there is only their needs and desires to be fulfilled in this life and everyone else can go hang. There are also those who want to be remembered by history in some vein for either good or bad and some don't care how they are remembered as long as they are.

I've always divided people into two groups when it comes to death: those whose death leaves the world a better place to live in and those whose death leave it a worse place.

When my father died three years ago, the world felt a little colder. It also felt a little colder when I discovered that an old acquaintance of mine, the musician Tony Ashton, had died.

For my part, I don't know how people will view my death, whenever it comes, but I hope that people will feel the world is a little colder for my passing.

5 comments:

Cybercheckout.co.uk said...

hmmm...dark blog today..

I think us writers are an emotional lot at heart. We can connect easily to any emotion, be it happy, excited, sad, so that we can portray that better in our characters...but the question is, when does it stop.

You find yourself still in that emotional state even after you've finished writing.

Cybercheckout.co.uk said...

Oh, and yes, you will be misssed...

Eric said...

This is an unexpected post, coming from you. Or maybe I'm not aware (or used to) your darker side. Still, it's food for thought. Don't plan on going anywhere soon, okay? I second the notion that you would be missed.

Martin Willoughby said...

My darker side hasn't shown itself for a while, but given what's been happening to me over the last few months it was bound to rear up.

Sometimes it's best to let it have its day and then move on.

The Journalizer said...

Hey Martin,
On my dark days I turn to Buddhist philosophies to help me deal. I don't know if that is something you find helpful or not, however, if you are interested this is the youtube channel I watch.

Namasté