Thursday, June 11, 2009

Curiosity Killed the Cat...

...but helped the writer.

You can't be a writer unless you're curious about things. We ask questions such as,
What would happen if the Martians invaded Earth?
What is the life of a governess like?

and then we answer them with a 100,000 word answer (try that in an English exam).

There isn't a single story that doesn't answer one, or sometimes more than one, question. As each answer is given, other questions arise which also need to be answered.

By the time we get to the end of the story we've answered them all...we hope.

3 comments:

Justus M. Bowman said...

When I started writing, I had to rekindle the flames of curiosity.

Tess said...

Yes, I agree with Justus...it is something I have to work on. Some people have a natural curiosity...but I have to remind myself to ask that 'what if' question and follow the thread through. Good reminder, thanks!

The Journalizer said...

I am curious enough to investigate some plot details of my novel and what I learn scares me.
My problem is not curiosity, it is how to deal with the things my curiosity discovers...

Maybe this is how the [figuritive] cat felt about exploring her curiosity -- was she scared, too?