Monday, May 11, 2009

This Is The Week

Tonight's the first dress rehearsal, tomorrow the second. Eeeeeeeekkkkk.

I got through yesterday's rehearsal without a problem and I'm now officially looking forward to the performance.

What has struck me, though, is the script.

There are parts of my solo speech that seem out of kilter with the rest of it, sentences that seem to have no relevance to the preceding ones. The first time I come across this is when my character is talking about Lady Hillingdon's silk knickers, then in the next sentence talks about women not being able to carry heavy loads. It feels as if he's gone off a slight tangent then brings himself back to his original thought.

The question is, what was in the author's mind? What did he 'see' when he wrote that speech? In prose, the speech would have several paragraphs of explanation added to make sure that the reader would 'get it', something that isn't possible in a script. It does, however, give latitude to the actor to interpret it.

It got me thinking about my own writing. I know what I intend and what I mean with every word, as did the scriptwriter of this play, but how well do I get that meaning over?

As a writer, I cannot use a picture to show the reader what a place looks like, or an actor to give form to a character, I have to use words. Do my words accurately portray what's in my head and does the reader get it?

5 comments:

Lady Glamis said...

I love how you compare acting things to writing things. I do this a lot these days. Thanks for some great thoughts!

Martin Willoughby said...

Thankyou.

I believe that these two creative arts are connected by the spoken word. In acting, a person fills in the gaps with their actions and expressions, in writing, the author describes the gaps with their words.

Justus M. Bowman said...

If I doubt the clarity of my prose, I often read it aloud.

Martin Willoughby said...

Reading out loud works for me...causes everyone else in the restaurant to give me strange looks though.

Litgirl01 said...

I compare acting to writing too...I get a lot of ideas from characters in plays or movies!!!

BREAK A LEG!!!!!! :-D Will you be putting up a video?

Word ver - metrol = petrol in the city! :-)