Friday, May 15, 2009

Phew!

My first stage appearance for 15 years and it's a four-minute monologue. Just me, my script and an audience barely alive.

I'd like to say that it was a word-perfect performance full of pathos and humour, given with the panache of Patrick Stewart. That's what I'd like to say. A combination of nerves and excitement meant that I hurried the first part, but calmed down for the last part. Still I got a huge laugh for the awful joke.

Yes I missed a few words, yes I got myself in a tizzy and yes, things weren't perfect. But the play was a success and I'm looking forward to doing it again tonight.

When I got home my eldest nearly wet himself when he saw the make-up, my youngest thought I looked weird and my middle son wanted it removed quickly as it scared him (he thought I looked like a doll in a horror movie). It didn't help the general merriment they felt when I explained that I needed the make-up to prevent glare from my bald head.

As a side issue, I'd appreciate any tips for removing black eye-liner.

Writing a story is bit like a performance. You know what you've got to do, you know the story and your lines, but when it comes to the execution, you forget things, get nervous and put other lines in the wrong order.

Like a stage play, you have time to correct them all. So don't panic, enjoy the ride and remember that you're still doing something that a lot of people either can't, or are too afraid to do.

There are also people working for you. The Drama Group have several people who build the sets, sort out the sound and lights, as well as a pianist providing music. We also have a stage manager to make sure we don't go on too early and keeps the stage safe. Because they are supporting us, the cast can concentrate on the play.

As writers, we have friends and (eventually) agents and editors to help us. We can get on with the writing along with our fellow cast members, supporting each other and enjoying each other's success.

Have a great weekend.

8 comments:

Cindy said...

That was an amusingly encouraging post (what's with me and adverbs lately?). I still think writing is easier than acting, though. A lot less pressure. Or, at least, a lot less immediate pressure. Congratulations on the play!

Martin Willoughby said...

The only difference between acting and writing is that with a play you have lots of people watching you make a mistake. When you're writing, the only person watching is you.

Justus M. Bowman said...

Glad you got a laugh. I don't know how to remove eye liner.

KLo said...

Yay!!!!! So glad it went well ... I've been thinking about you : )

And as for the eyeliner ... uh, good luck with that ; )

Litgirl01 said...

Nothing like a little pathos and humor! Was it shakespeare?

Martin Willoughby said...

Justus - I didn't think too many men would know how to remove eye-liner

KLo - You're a woman and you don't know how to remove make-up?

L1 - No, not shakespeare. Although I do get called Patrick Stewart when I have the make-up on.

KLo said...

I'm a natural girl : ) Not a huge make-up fan.

Martin Willoughby said...

Ah, that explains it.