Thursday, May 07, 2009

One Week To Go

Another Thursday, another rehearsal.

With just one week to go before the big night, I know my lines. All I have to do is make sure I don't suffer from too many nerves in rehearsals or on the performance nights.

An absence of nerves is worse than too many nerves, as you can become complacent or egotistical. Too much nervousness and...well, you wouldn't be going on stage anyway.

The trick is to turn the nerves into something positive. One thing I keep in mind, whether it's public speaking or performing, is that no one in the audience knows what I'm going to say (unless they have a script in front of them), therefore, dropping the odd word won't matter too much.

As long as you make sure that your lines give the correct cues to the actors that speak after you, you're fine.

The adrenilin that runs through you can be used to add to your performance, in much the same way as you get a 'buzz' doing something you enjoy.

So all that remains is to go through my part, remember my cues, learn the song, throw myself into the role and enjoy myself.

Now, where's the Valium?

5 comments:

Lady Glamis said...

Wow! Good luck! Oh, whoops.... I mean, break a leg.

I'm married to an actor, as I think I told you before. I understand all of this that you're saying. Be the character, and you should be fine. :)

Martin Willoughby said...

Thanks for the support.

Justus M. Bowman said...

Lay off the Valium, and lay on some of that self-control you mentioned.

Litgirl01 said...

Break a leg!!!!! No mention of the "m" word here! :-)

KLo said...

You will be great, valium or no valium : ) Smile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!