Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Last Minute Changes

Last night was our final dress rehearsal before the first performance on Thursday.

It wasn't as good as Monday's one, but we still managed to get through it without any major hiccups...except one. The scene has always been awkward, especially for the actor, so the director has cut it at the last moment. My scene will now come in a bit earlier than planned. (Did you think it was my scene that was cut? Shame on you.)

It had to be done and it isn't going to affect the story as it's a stand-alone monologue. Neither is it a bad scene and it does have some funny lines, but it wasn't working so it's gone.

In my stories, there are scenes and sentences that are well written and make me proud, but they don't fit. Often I leave them in as long as possible, sometimes in desperation to make them fit. Most of the time I have to cut them out.

Being brutal with my writing is how it has to be. If it doesn't fit, get rid of it, paste it onto a separate document, file it away and see if I can make something else out of it later.

It's never too late to make a cut.

3 comments:

Litgirl01 said...

I did think your scene got cut!!! LOL :-D

Martin Willoughby said...

I (sob), am not (sob) upset.

KLo said...

Interesting connection between your two passions : )

Best of luck in your show ... do they say "break a leg" where you are : )?

xx