Sunday, May 17, 2009

Done

Three performances, three successes, lots of dropped words and lots of fun.

Although nervous last night, I was able to give the best performance yet and was nearly word perfect. This morning we cleared the stage and the hall ready for the next group.

It's been a hectic four weeks for me. Joining the drama group, learning lines and actions, giving three performances alongside people I barely know and stripping in front of those same people in the dressing room.

It's good to be back on stage.

Although it's an amateur group, the approach is very professional. Auditions for parts, a strong support group of scene builders, lighting and make-up, alongside directors who are not afraid to cut things that aren't working. What is more, everyone is enthusiastic about it.

It's the same approach I would expect from an agent or publisher. If they haven't got the support network, or aren't enthused by my book, I don't want them representing or publishing it. So when I get a rejection, it goes on the pile, or gets filed away in a folder on the computer. If they're not enthused, I want them far away from it.

An unenthusiastic director or cast can ruin a play. An unenthusiastic agent or editor will do the same.

7 comments:

KLo said...

Yay for enthusiasm!!!!!!!!!!!

(And good analogies : ))

The Journalizer said...

Congratulations on your great successes in the past four weeks.

Your posts have inspired me to look for acting groups in Philly!!
thanks

Martin Willoughby said...

KLo - thanks.

TJ - Get a group with a good attitude and energy and it'll great fun.

Litgirl01 said...

Congrats on the success. I love theater!! :-)

Lady Glamis said...

Congrats on your show!

Cindy said...

That's a great way to look at it. Congratulations!

Martin Willoughby said...

Thankyou for the congratulations, ladies.