Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Lest I forget...

...which I did yesterday. Despite a promise to myself to write something on this blog every weekday (subject to illness, holidays and technical problems), I forgot. In my defence, I was reading and writing most of the day.

I've rejigged the opening to my novel again, this time focusing on one of the main characters. The feel of the opening lines hasn't changed, just the focus, and it has better structure because of the change.

Instead of seeing the village where he lives and slowly zooming in on his house, I've started at his house and am having him walk around the village whilst his cleaner is at work on his bachelor pad.

It's still way too long and rambling, but I always find it easier to remove things than to have to pad a story out. I've also continued my reading of Terry Pratchett and Toby Frost to get some idea of modern comic pacing and style. Recalling my 'stand-up' days can help with writing comedy stories, but they are different beasts.

Onto other things, the answer to Friday's question is: Carry On Cleo. The line was uttered by Kenneth Williams who was playing Julius Caesar. The film is one of the best of the series (along with Carry on Up the Khyber and Carry on Sergeant) and worth a look if you want a peek into English humour. Despite the opinions of some, it hasn't changed all that much in the last century.

Finally, I have another script reading tonight.

In two weeks I shall be performing on stage, and fear is staking me like a hungry Lion...thankfully I'm armed with a phaser.

4 comments:

Justus M. Bowman said...

No problem. I'm planning to cut back on how much I post because I feel like I should spend more time writing.

Martin Willoughby said...

I find that blogging is good focus point that can get me started on writing for the day.

A line between reality and fiction.

Whatever else you do, don't give up on the blog. It's an interesting read and thought provoking.

KLo said...

I find that blogging gets my juices flowing, and I get more writing done.

I'm also wondering if you're in a constant state of "rejigging" ... every time I read my finished manuscript, I find things I want to improve. Is this a never-ending process, or am I just strange : )?

Martin Willoughby said...

"A book is never finished...even after it's published"

We'll always find something wrong with it, but the smaller the problems, the more likely it is to be ready.