Friday, April 24, 2009

Infamy, Infamy...They've All Got It In For Me.

The title has nothing to do with the post, I just like it. (Can you name the film that line comes from? Answer on Monday)

Last night's rehearsal went well, despite me forgetting some lines. It wasn't not knowing them that was the problem, it was the terror that suddenly overtook me when performing in front an audience. I'd forgotten how scary it can be.

On the plus side I do know the words (I repeat them several times a day), I just have to put actions to them now...and change the phrases I don't like with something more suitable, for which I have permission from the director.

It forced me to face some questions about dialogue:
- How much dialogue does a particular story need?
- When should dialogue replace description?
- Is there an ideal amount of dialogue?

In a script, there is only dialogue plus a few brief descriptions of the scene and an occasional piece of direction (empty water from jug etc), whereas in prose you have to fill in the gaps.

What about a situation when both are appropriate?

I usually use dialogue. What do you do?

1 comment:

Justus M. Bowman said...

This might not answer your question, but I like dialogue. It helps me connect with the characters. And I feel as if something is happening, even it isn't.