Monday, March 23, 2009

Good News...and It's Holding

I've had some good things happen over the last week and so far nothing bad has happened to dampen it down.

Over the last few months I've had good things happen: events and news etc. On every occasion that piece of good news has been immediately followed by some bad news. In the last week that hasn't happened.

Things are looking up.

Above my working area I have a poem called 'Don't Quit'. I bought the poster in the early 1980s and a few years later put it in a metal frame. It's dusty, battered and looking the worse for wear, but I read it most days despite its high 'cheese' content.

There are days when it has been the only thing between staying the course and quitting.

The first verse is, to me, the best:

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest, if you must - but don't you quit.


That idea of resting for a while has saved me many a time, especially when writing and getting no replies from agents or magazines. Taking time out from writing and then coming back to it refreshed is often all it takes to remind myself why I do it.

The last two lines of the poem are apt at any time:

So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit,
It's when things seem worst that you must not quit.


I think I'll get that frame down from the wall and give it a dust and polish. It's the least I can do for something that keeps helping me every day.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

I like the idea of resting too. Sometimes returning to a touch situation seems remarkably easier when our minds are renewed and we can look at it through fresh and rested eyes.

Justus M. Bowman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Justus M. Bowman said...

Yeah, give it some polish. :)