Thursday, February 12, 2009

New Style

Ever had those 'lightbulb' moments where a sudden realisation or inspiration hits you? I had one this morning.

Instead of starting on an Alastair Reynolds book (Absolution Gap), I decided to read a book that I bought on the off chance it might be good called 'Space Captain Smith'.

Having recently started my trawl through Discworld, I decided that a bit more light relief was needed before I continue my research into sci-fi writing. I'm so glad I did.

Not only have I found a book that I can laugh out loud to, I have also found my spiritual literary home. Space Humour. I realised that I write in a similar vein to Pratchett and Frost and, hopefully, as wittily.

More importantly, I'm happier writing in this vein than the serious space and time-faring stories that I've been struggling with.

I've also noticed that my most enjoyable characters (and easiest to write) are ones that suit humourous work better: the evil genius, the deranged robot and the grumpy old man (not me, honest).

It also helps prove the old adage: write what you know (or what you're interested in researching).

No comments: