Sunday, December 28, 2008

Reflections (11)

2008 is almost over. I, for one, will be glad to see the back of it.

I'm still living in the same house as my ex; Housing benefits are continuing to give me grief over my claim and haven't paid me anything since October; the kids are still suffering the after effects of the divorce; All the business ideas I try go nowhere; the economy has just gone tits-up.

One platitude that I have taken a particular dislike to over the years is 'it could be worse, you might be starving'. It's usually spouted by those who don't have the particular problems that the sufferer is enduring, or believes that all problems are easy to solve. The worst kind of person to utter this nonsense is the do-gooder who believes that something has to be said to try and cheer the person up.

If you're one of these people who likes to utter this platitude, here's some advice: read the book of Job...the one in the Bible.

Job was not the cause of his problems, but suffered them anyway. A fact that applies to most people's problems today. Then his 'friends' turned up. For several days they kept quiet, just keeping him company. Then they started giving him advice and telling him that he must have done something wrong for all this to happen to him. Ever done that to someone who's suffering misfortune?

I won't spoil the story for you, suffice to say that Job's 'friends' were roundly condemned by God for their arrogance and 'misinterpretation' of the situation.

I have spent most of the year suffering one disaster after another, none of which were my fault. I have caused other problems myself, but not the ones listed above.

Things could be worse. I could be starving, or on the streets, or have no support whatsoever. I could be dead, but I'm not convinced that would be worse for me. It would certainly be worse for the kids, but I'd be at peace.

2009 should be better, but I enter it with trepidation. I cannot see it getting much better at the moment and it could get a lot worse. I'll have to wait and see.

1 comment:

missieone said...

...and what say you now my friend as we approach the end of 2009?

Interesting look at perspectives a mere 10mths apart!! x